Looking for more artists? Visit the featured artists site!

Knowing

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Post 1. 12/26/2012. Shortly after the end of the world.

     As I had previously explained, in some place at some other time, I really had to leave society to get a grip on what it is. And those experiences have merit, at least if you can manage to adapt one's spiritual pursuits to the being of a car thief. But, I should explain. There is a dialectic one can create in order to separate him or herself from society without necessarily leaving it, that figure is the one which creates inspiration, it is the relative separation which comes from introspection. Yes I am behind everyone else I suppose in the 'real' world, my professional life and the one which I will be writing of is at least coming from that of a 26 year old. But if that is the cost, I will stay 26 as long as I can. What I mean to say is, I've barely completed my education so far and I have yet to really branch out into the world, but I have decided the best way to deal with what is. Mostly I have set out to learn, and here are a few of the lessons, from my experience dissociating myself from what others might call a normal society.

     What follows are just a few of the many short stories from that time in life. I will post other kinds of things later, but I think these are just the stories to describe the appropriate amount of salience, in my thinking. I hope you enjoy this, world, it's probably worth it too.


---

So I notice interesting things in nature.
***
Once I was sitting with Cooper and I don’t really know who else was there visiting, probably some friends, I seem to remember some girls from the neighborhood but, sorry ladies I don’t remember which ones. There on the green couches which were actually very comfortable and fuzzy, though lime green. Well the interesting thing to take notice of is around that time I had finally discovered the place where the woodlouse spiders were nesting. I was looking for a place to hide something and there was a pullout for the drain system concealed behind some paneling. I opened it and saw nothing but inhabited white silk, with the critters minding their own business. I could almost make out the cap that allowed a plumber to clean out the drain lines, they do that with a roto rooter which is a motorized drain clearing cable, and this line from this point goes straight out underneath the street out front. The spiders had built so much there was no way to actually access the pipe from the panel in the wall there. Well I couldn’t keep whatever contraband it was (I don’t remember) in that compartment if it was a hotel for arachnids, so I closed it up. The next day was the day I’m mentioning but I thought it was relevant to discuss the little creatures and their happy home. Anyhow we’re sitting there and for some reason I did look up to see almost preconsciously because I remember feeling that sensation, but the spiders, had all gotten together and organized a little arachnid commando raid. Cooper and I and the other people who were there were suddenly under attack! All of the spiders small enough to spin from the ceiling descended upon us in a group, in an organized fashion, at the same time. Every spider landed on a person none of them missed. The girls were, well hysterical. I wasn’t sure they saw it too either until they noticed and started jumping about. I thought it was fantastic that these little critters had what appeared to be a strategy! And after the chaos we all sort of checked with each other to validate that this event actually happened, because it provided that surreal sense that comes from an uncommon synchronicity.
***
What I take from this, is just a realization that even though science and our tools and technology cannot readily observe a creature and its thinking process taking place, that doesn’t indicate that it’s not happening in these other creatures. In science it is believed that skills that were developed through the process of evolution became biological fixtures in our brains, until we learned to combine these basic survival skills, used when manipulating the environment, and when developing communication skills like empathy. After we learned to combine them we learned to create an abstract representation of the skills, what you or I might call thinking, about what we can do and remembering previous results. It is believed that this complexity, of all these systems combining and being created and represented, is the nature of thought. Other creatures have had to compete to live as well and may have similarly complex skills that evolved which may also have meta representation. You may not notice the complexity of a spider, but every spider that you see is actually following a trail, of data left by the scent of previous spiders or other critters. Data that is very precise actually about the previous arachnid and its activities. It’s very possible that this is a complex enough activity to indicate that spiders can think and perhaps collectively. On a greater scope along this analogy I notice in the complexity of critters and other living things while they are working together in ecosystems as well. Like the dependant systems between honey bees and wildflowers, the systems of mammals hunting and the systems of their prey’s biological defenses. And as such each living thing may be considered a kind of skill like the ones we evolved, that is, it’s evolved to complete some task and communicate in nature and in the greater scope that is the way of all things. I imagine there could have been some cause for the spiders that day, perhaps they smelled something, but I like to think of it as their attempt at attrition for disturbing their happy way of life. I have to admit that woodlouse spiders look so much like the brown recluse I had killed a number of them until I finally had decided they were too close to the humidity and moisture to be the dangerous brown recluse.
It’s interesting to note that experiences like these give me an appreciation for life. I can identify with the creatures when observing things like this experience written above. There’s really no basis for saying the other creatures are thinking, other than I think other organisms might be experiencing thought because of my level of empathy, I’m anthropomorphizing or making them human in my worldview. On a more rational level all things do tend to have some thing that they are accomplishing and having the knowledge to rationalize and justify disturbing that way of life is difficult to do responsibly.
On a perfectly human level of course if something is likely to try and kill me I’m going to try and kill it first, and I will probably succeed because I’m human and given the advanced nature of humankind is well established as a predator. But it results in a modification of the environment which I cannot predict. All of the relevant variables interact in ways I am not aware of and there are things I cannot detect with my senses or my technology. Also I have to think about it. Because every day I am responsible for killing something, I usually eat three meals a day. I try not to think about it.
But perhaps we should be thinking about it. Here is a thought experiment: Imagine for a moment all of the impact of every product that’s been associated with your life since you were born. What would the objects look like all in one place? Further, did the process of manufacturing or the money people get from the sale and use of all of these objects cause any significant change? It may be shocking to think of as an experiment, but I think this exercise can help sort of establish a thought process, where you will identify what has happened and what you feel ought to have happened with your resources. It is not possible to track everything you are involved with, but hopefully with some good intent and responsibility you can do what you want by being aware. I believe it is becoming more important to know, what is happening this way, and you might even be angry thinking of what happens in the economy of the world just because you participate.
            Similarly, if we as people were to begin tampering with ecological systems (which you now see we do regardless of intent) how could we know all of the variables and effects resulting from the modification of just one organism or resource? I would recommend thinking about that when it is necessary to kill something like a spider. Also I would recommend thinking about the narrow scope of probabilities that exist so that you can kill it. Like, is there even a shoe nearby and can you get to it before the bug escapes? And like, how did the spider come to even be visible by you in a location that bothers you? A hunter thinks of these things, when tracking animals like a deer. What are the chances of a hunt being successful and productive? Example, a deer has to be there to present itself and be of appropriate sex and age, in the appropriate location to harvest, without detecting the hunter who has to be able to attack the deer at close range effectively. If the determining factors are so improbable in their alignment, was the event (supposedly the killing of the deer) intended by some other system of complexity, a thought? It’s hard to say, and preparing food is not about eating, it is about everything.
So, although the spiders probably intended to accomplish something, woodlouse spiders are in fact harmless and were simply brushed aside as we carried on with our day, well with the exception of some screaming and giggling. Like so many other things, which I thought about at the time, a spider’s intent was just noticed and explains so much.
It reminds me of the importance of something someone noticed one day, he was really just hiking around with his friends smoking some pot. But he named the location they found “The spider place.” He thought that probably because of the number of wolf spiders inhabiting the tall grasses and leaves there which are their natural home. That hiker was Gabe, and I heard of his passing not long ago, he died very young like some others who were there in these stories. I wonder if the spider had made any kind of indication to him, about his mortality, or the intent of his being. I wonder that because I know something like naming a location takes a lot of thought and interest, and I know he was watching the spiders too, just like I was in this story.

---

A very certain authority
***
I was in the mountain town, just west of here at Chris’ house which was a really nice log cabin type set up with a garage and a barn. And there, most everyone had gathered around a 5.0l Ford Mustang, a late 80’s model with a sport package. It was black with chrome and light grey pinstripes. The car simply would not run, and I was under the hood looking for some kind of electrical malfunction which I found in the form of a failed fusable link. I bridged the link as an experiment. Chris was certain the vehicle would never run again, but he started it and we devised a plan to get it out of the driveway and onto the roads and highways in the mountain community. It was about one a.m. and I was driving. I had a full car with Chris’s sister, Chris, one other person and myself. The rest of the guys, Cooper and Tyson and Pierce piled into a small Honda and were out to make their own rounds.
So there I was it was early fall and I was on the highway going about 70 I suppose. It was at an opportune moment when the windshield on the car fogged up and I was not able to see. Chris immediately started rummaging for something to clear the window, but it wasn’t working very well. I wasn’t certain where the road was, and if there was any safe place to stop. Additionally I was afraid that any erratic driving would get the car impounded and all of us put in jail. So I did know that the oncoming tractor trailer was probably on his side of the road, and the truck was well lit with marker lights. I could see that if I’m on a path placing me to the right of the semi I would still be on the highway. Or at least tell, if not see entirely. So a few tense moments pass as I’m simply guessing at high speed the pavement that exists between our car and the tractor trailer, and the distance begins to close. Chris finally figured out the defroster at this point, but it was not working yet. I did not anticipate being so close to the semi as we passed, and I knew we were because I could hear the compressor on the tractors engine as we did. I remember hearing ‘whoa’ from one of the girls in the car after we passed.  The windshield cleared at this point, and the bright new indicators on the highway then became clearly visible. We were indeed in the lane on the right side of the road.
So having survived that experience the only thing to do was to drive around town. When, as we passed through the municipal area of town, we saw Pierce’s car, and all of the people in it, being questioned by police officers. Chris and I devised a plan to rescue them. I would assess the situation by walking past the patrolmen after parking the car slightly up the road, and Chris was going to attempt to gain their attention by creating noise in the woods behind them. If the police left he could get away and I could possibly fit in Pierce’s Honda. I don’t know why we planned, really because there would be one minor misdemeanor ticket for the boys in the Honda, while Chris and I were driving an unregistered car with more people in it and various artifacts in their possession. However, as I acted out my drunken stupor past the patrolmen I could see the guys trying not to notice it was me, and I heard the patrolman asking questions and the guys being generally noncompliant. Then of course it sounded like someone was being assaulted in the woods behind where Chris was staging his own drama, but the policemen were so certain that they had found the right car that nothing else was going to be processed. I returned to the mustang after I thanked the officer, and slurring intentionally, as I explained my use of the pay phone there and I got back and proceeded to drive away. In the unregistered car, that had just almost run into a semi.
***
Voltaire on certainty: “Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.”
It should be well established by now that I (the author) am (is) a humanist. So where Voltaire writes this anyway I tend to agree. There are a lot of lessons in this story, mostly what not to do I admit. However the most important is certainty.
Doubt is indeed not a pleasant condition at 65-70 MPH when one doubts where the road is, but if I had required certainty on the highway a more dangerous or legally consequential circumstance may have been presented. And certainly if the police had reserved judgment that night they would have netted more offenses just by questioning the other group of teenagers, which they were certain were not an influencing factor. Their certainty occluded their pursuit here.
So my favorite statement is often, “I doubt it.”. It’s actually pretty easy to be certain that establishing an absolute standard of proof that defines what is absolutely real, true, and correct; is not actually possible. People have many systems in epistemology which is the system used to define knowledge. However careening toward a semi there can be little doubt, that the experience is real and, any other system can still be wrong. But I doubt it. Certainty of this nature can occlude your spiritual pursuits, if you’ve already decided that you know precisely what is right for you, you’re not likely to make any new discoveries or definitions.
 I would only say that, although you can judge or define this story in any way, there are actually many ways that can be done. As a carpenter might say, measure twice, cut once. Or, to me, take in as many ways of understanding a given situation, person or object; as possible before judging.

---

It’s not supposed to fly…. Dork.
***
Expectations are something that hinder a lot of processes. The very process of science is creating a hypothesis which is in a way an expectation. But expectations will occlude science if the expectation is held to a higher standard of proof than the data reveals. A person cannot create data to suit a hypothesis and still do meaningful work. Much like this, a person cannot create expectations in life that will always be fulfilled the way she or he might think they are. I can think of one exception, for the examination of life’s expectations.
It had already been a crazy weekend. I had crashed my car once already getting to a location in the mountains where chris was having a party. That experience left Cooper dangling out of the passenger side door in my 1976 honda hatchback. It had a five speed transmission and that was useful and all, but in the related story my learning curve driving things with smaller transmissions caused the accident. After a brief detour into a hardcore punk party trying to find someone with a truck, we eventually pulled the car back off of the cliff before wind, or water could cause it to roll the 500 feet or so to the bottom. After that I was driving back down into town with Chase in the canyon. Chase and I used to do time trials in this canyon. Anyhow having pulled the car off the cliff had damaged the suspension. I think it’s peculiar to note that on the way down we picked up a hitchhiker who worked for a racing company. After we dropped him off my new suspension modifications caused a spin in the stretch at the bottom of the canyon. I remember standing there having gotten out of the car to look into the creek below, and wonder if it had been worth it. That was the day following the events trying to get to Chris’ party. Anyway the car started again I had stalled it correcting the loss of control. And Chase and I got back underway. When I got home I realized my wallet was missing, the only conclusion was that it was back up at Chris’ place. I drove up there again to find out. 
In the meantime I should probably mention that I had done all of the work on this car previous, I used to do “pre-flight” and idle checks before driving it, something I learned from flying airplanes. At some point I had even set up a shopping-cart slolam in a K-mart shopping center for driving practice. It was a humble car, it was also a lot of fun. Without really knowing it, I had expected that the car would perform under any circumstances.
So back at Chris’ he’s talking to me and nobody had any idea where my wallet could be, it must have been stolen. But we decided to go meet some friends at the top of sharp’s ridge. We waited at the bottom of the road to smoke, and we were actually sitting to the right of a stop sign at the main intersection with the highway in the grass. A Patrolman arrived in a truck to check us out. “Well,” I explained to the patrolman “I’d just had my wallet stolen, but I have my state ID here in the ashtray.”. Why I chose to leave that ID in the car I may never know. The officer read the number off of the ID and confirmed that it was also a valid driver’s license number. He left. So Chris and I drive up the curvy paved road, it’s marked with signs that indicate 15 M.P.H. and 10 M.P.H. suggested speeds for all the oncoming curves. I didn’t think anything of it, the road was also completely covered with gravel from a previous snowfall. We pulled to the top of the residential area and waited. Chris’ friends arrived with pot and we just thought that was wonderful, I didn’t really enjoy much because we were contemplating how to get back down, to the bottom of sharp’s ridge. Chris decided to ride with them, their vehicle wasn’t in as good a condition as mine, or so I had thought. I remember I had to slow initially to put on my safety belt, which was probably a good idea.
At the top of the road I was approaching 65 M.P.H. and decided to downshift into fourth gear for oncoming curves slowing to about 45 M.P.H. and one curve caught me by surprise. I took third in the outside of that curve to have the torque necessary to stay on the road in the curve and I was completely ignoring road markings using the entire width of the road. The maneuver was successful, but the car was no longer happy. Having rounded the curve there was the little red Toyota ahead of me going all of about 20 M.P.H. and I just touched the brakes… My suspension came apart, the car was now completely out of control and the only way I could get it back was by, recalibrating where I thought the wheels were turned. By the time I recovered control of the car which I was steering to the left to go straight I assessed my situation, I was headed off of the road. I turned the wheels all the way left and gave it all the throttle it had in second gear. The car lurched, started to recover but I was still going to crash. I looked at my options, There was a yucca plant in the way but apparently some distance between trees in which I might be able to slow, if I jumped off of the road. Thinking yucca plants don’t slow things down much I opted for the controlled crash. It then occurred to me, that my Honda doesn’t have wings. I had no expectations left my car had failed, but somehow after landing from a considerable mid-air descent I missed all the trees. There was what I thought to be a small rock in the way and then, a tree. I was going to hit something, and I think the speedometer had gone back down to 40. The small rock lodged itself into the car’s front sub-frame and the velocity of the car turned it out of the ground. It turned out to be a very large boulder which I was ripping out of the earth as it rolled down the hill with me. The resulting resistance from the weight of the boulder stopped the car, and had lifted it off the ground, almost precisely on the car’s lifting points. Ok, so everything is ok but the car which is on top of a very large rock about a foot away from any of three or four trees, one which it was bumper-to-bark with. I climbed out of the window. Chris returned to see what happened, but they would not let me get a ride with them to go to the safeway to use a payphone. Reluctantly, I approached the house, which had a front yard that I just renovated, with a new boulder.
***


            What I didn’t know, when I was doing all of the work on the car and checking the belts before running it and doing run-ups like pre-flight for a small plane, is that I was really doing pre-flight. The expectations that I had were not realistic, but my actions were manifesting thought patterns that would later cause this crash. What had really happened to the car in reality was the left-rear suspension fork was damaged when it was pulled off of the cliff, and the hard left curve on the third day popped the right halfshaft out of the car’s transmission. But it was as though I had expected it all along. I can’t really say any of these experiences were smart, but they were exciting, and maybe my attitudes previous led to the catastrophe. So this in a way is what I think about expectations, they influence your actions. And in all situations, especially relationships, which are later in this writing, expectations are not always certain. You see the real expectation is in doing and not in expecting. That is where all actions come from and feelings, are the experience along the way. What is truly real, about this experience is that the boulder was there and the situation was happening with total synchronicity in the course of my life. As this book may show you, how some of us survived is just a matter of being at the right place at the only time, which is now.

---

These kinds of experiences are what helped to built the somewhat heretical epistemology, which I will describe in some detail, as time goes on.


No comments:

Post a Comment